Sourdough rye bread invokes many childhood memories for me. There is something that feels like home in a loaf of warm, hearty, freshly made rye bread for every Northern European or Slavic person I now.
I have been baking rye bread for a while, using a slightly advanced recipe with a rye starter . This time, in my search for a simply perfect rye bread, I have finally found it. Knead for three minutes, let rise overnight, bake, enjoy.
To bake this bread, you need a Dutch oven. A Dutch oven can be used to cook a large array of dishes, so it is never a waste buying one. I use the top part of my Dutch oven as a frying pan, too.
Easy Sourdough Rye Bread Recipe
By March 5, 2017Published:
Sourdough rye bread invokes many childhood memories for me. There is something that feels like home in a loaf of warm, hearty, freshly …
- 1 cup (Rye) sourdough starter
- 5.5 cups Rye flour
- 3 cups Cold water
- 1/2 cup Caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons Sea salt
- 1 cup Unsulphured blackstrap molasses
- optional: Olive oil
- Combine all ingredients, except for the oil,
in a large, metal-free bowl, using a wooden or a silicone spatula. Knead for a few minutes. The dough would be thick and sticky.
- Leave the dough in a bowl, cover with cloth and let rise overnight or for 8-12 hours.
- After the time has passed, preheat the oven to 450degrees F.
- Place the empty, covered Dutch oven into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Gently, take the Dutch oven out. Sprinkle some flour on its bottom. Gently transfer the dough into the Dutch oven and pour 1 cup of water + olive oil to coat the dough on top.
Cover with the lid. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake for 10-12 additional minutes.
- Take the bread out of the Dutch oven. Cover the bread with a towel and allow it to gently cool before serving.