Lentil, sweet potato, green beans casserole is a hearty, nourishing and healthy vegan dish. I like to cook a large pot of lentils to use throughout the week and the idea for this casserole was born when I needed to get rid of some cooked lentil leftovers. You can, of course, use four cans of lentils instead of cooking the lentils.
Lentil, Sweet Potato, Green Beans Casserole, Grain-Free Recipe
By August 18, 2014Published:
- Yield: 6-8 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
Lentil, sweet potato, green beans casserole is a hearty, nourishing and healthy vegan dish. I like to cook a large pot of lentils to …
- 5 cups Cooked lentils or 4 cans of lentils, rinsed well
- 6 medium Sweet potatoes peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons Pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil divided
- 5 cups Green beans rinsed, drained, ends removed and beans halved
- 2 large Purple onions chopped
- 1 bunch Parsley chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Turmeric
- 2 teaspoons Sea salt
- 4 cloves Garlic diced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with enough water, so that there is one inch of water over them. Bring to a boil and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until soft ( test with a fork.) Drain, mash with a potato masher. Mix with maple syrup and with two tablespoons of coconut oil. Set aside.
- Put the beans in a medium saucepan. Add enough water so that there is one inch of water over the beans. Cook until the beans are tender, but still very crisp, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion in 5 tablespoons of coconut oil for about 4-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add lentils, parsley, garlic, salt, remaining oil and spices and saute for 8-10 minutes.
- Place the lentil mixture on the bottom of an oiled casserole dish.
- Place the green beans on top of the lentil mixture. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place the sweet potato mash on top of the beans and smooth it with a spatula.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the top layer develops a lightly brown edge.
- Let stand for 15 minutes to develop flavor. Serve.