Spanokopita is one of the few healthy foods that most kids would eat. It’s a Greek spinach pie, which is moist and crunchy and juicy and very filling. It tastes like a really great vegetarian casserole. Together with a soup or a salad, a slice of spanokopita makes a wonderful lunch. Spanokopita can also be served with hummus, meat and pretty much anything else. Traditionally, spanakopita is made of phyllo dough triangles, but to simplify the process, I usually make it into a single casserole dish, which is later cut into squares to serve.
Spanokopita ( Spinach Pie) Recipe
By August 16, 2013Published:
- Yield: 1 large casserole dish (8-12 Servings)
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- Ready In: 55 mins
Spanokopita is one of the few healthy foods that most kids would eat. It's a Greek spinach pie, which is moist and crunchy and juicy …
- 1/3 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs Fresh spinach washed, drained, chopped
- 2 bunches Scallions chopped
- 1/4 cup Parsley diced
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 3/4 lb Feta cheese crumbled
- 2.5 sticks Butter melted
- 1 lb. Phyllo pastry sheets
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, saute the spinach, the scallions and the parsley until the spinach wilts, tossing it frequently. Remove the leafy vegetables, squeeze out excess liquid. Transfer the mixture into a large bowl and allow it to cool.
- Add feta, salt and pepper to the spinach.
- Unroll the phyllo dough on a flat surface and keep it covered with waxed paper and a damp towel so it doesn't dry out. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into sheets to match the size of your large casserole dish and recover with the towel.
- Butter a large casserole dish and spread 6 sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter, on the bottom of the dish.
- Spoon the spinach filling over the phyllo, then cover with 6 more sheets of phyllo, buttering each sheet. Score the top 3 sheets with a sharp knife.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until top is golden. Let stand 15 minutes, then cut into squares and serve warm.