When I saw the recipe for a “soup or sos mix” I was excited: it was easy, cheap and gluten-free. Anytime I see a recipe that requires that “cream of” soup ingredient, I could just use a scoop of “soup or sos” mixture. All the recipe needed in my opinion, was to be healthier. I like to use almond flour instead of powdered milk: the two have the same texture and similar taste. I used arrowroot in place of cornstarch, which I am not a fan of, considering the GM corn, which is everywhere now. I used vegetable bouillon instead of the chicken bouillon.
Vegan Soup or Sauce Mix
By August 25, 2012Published:
When I saw the recipe for a "soup or sos mix" I was excited: it was easy, cheap and gluten-free. Anytime I see a recipe that requires …
- 2 cups Almond flour
- 3/4 cup Arrowroot
- 1/4 cup instant vegetable bouillon
- 2 tbsp Dried onion flakes
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning optional
- Combine all ingredients in a recloseable plastic bag, mixing well.
The yield is equal to 9 (10.5 oz) cans of cream soup. Transfer the mixture to a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- To substitute for 1 can of soup, combine 1/3 cup of dry mix with 1 1/4 cups of cold water and whisk well.
- Cook on medium heat, while stirring until thickened. Add the mixture to casseroles as you would a can of soup.