I like soy-free veggie burgers and have made quite a few. So, once I saw the world’s greatest black bean burger recipe, I knew I had to try it. I added a couple of things, took out a couple of things and the result was described by my husband as: “The best veggie burger you ever made.” It really tasted amazing!
You can cut this recipe in half, but I like to make a lot of burgers and freeze the leftover burgers, covering them with plastic wrap. This way, the husband can never say that there is no food at home.
*Cast iron skillet is the best for frying these burgers, but any other skillet can work.
*In my opinion, a good burger seasoning is a must for this recipe. If you don’t have it, use steak seasoning: these spice mixes tend to give bean burgers a special meaty taste, which makes them great.
*This recipe is perfect for hiding vegetables. You can experiment and put some broccoli in instead of celery, or some squash instead of carrots.
* If you don’t have a good food processor or a blender, grate and dice all the vegetables and grind oats in a coffee grinder. Your bean burgers will be chewier, but still very delicious.
Soy-Free Veggie Burger
By February 25, 2012Published:
I like soy-free veggie burgers and have made quite a few. So, once I saw the world's greatest black bean burger recipe, I knew I had …
- 1 stick Celery choppe
- 1 medium Carrot chopped
- 1/3 cup parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 2 cups Oats ground into flour in the food processor
- 2 cans Black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp Burger seasoning
- Sea salt to taste, if needed
- Olive oil or coconut oil for frying
- Place celery, carrot, parsley, olive oil and water in a blender and blend until smooth. In a large bowl, mix all other ingredients. Pour the vegetable mixture into the bowl and mix well. Cover and cool in the fridge for 30 minutes. Form patties, using wet hands or a large spoon. Place in hot skillet with olive oil or coconut oil. Cook on medium- high heat until browned on one side. Flip. Cook the other side until brown.
- Serve on a bun with with avocado slices, tomatoes, cucumber slices, mixed greens, sprouts: be creative.