Nothing says home like a nice warm carrot casserole. This casserole involves a lot of carrot chopping (8 cups,) so you may want to consider buying pre-sliced carrots. I reworked the original recipe to healthify it and the results were quite wonderful. I actually ended up making two casseroles: vegan for myself and the babies and non-vegan for my oldest son and my husband. Both casseroles were gone in two days! I think carrots can be substituted for butternut squash or sweet potatoes here.
Vegan (Or Not) Carrot Casserole
By September 7, 2011Published:
- Yield: 10-12 Servings
- Cook: 20-25 mins
Nothing says home like a nice warm carrot casserole. This casserole involves a lot of carrot chopping (8 cups,) so you may want to …
- 8 cups Sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup Celery sliced
- 2 medium Onion sliced
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 tbsp Coconut oil or more olive oil
- 1 package Silken tofu, blended or 2 eggs + 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast + handful of cashews+ 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar+ 1/2 package silken tofu, blended or 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs + dry garlic+ dry oregano+ paprika+1/2 tsp. salt for topping
- Place carrots and celery in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onions in 3 tablespoons olive oil until tender. Stir in the blended tofu (or the eggs and the milk,) salt, pepper and cheddar cheese or its substitute.
- Drain carrots and celery; add to the onion mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Mix all of the topping ingredients. Sprinkle on top of the casserole. Melt the coconut oil and drizzle over croutons.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes.