Since we have three little kids, it’s hard to go out in the evening. So, I learned to make some gourmet foods at home. Flatbread is one of those foods. The best part about this recipe (taken from here) is that the bread is easy to make and is gluten-free. Then, you can put whatever you want on top and tell the kids it’s pizza. I like bell peppers, sundried tomato spread, portobello mushrooms, chunks of tofu, onions, tomatoes, zucchinis to top my flatbread…I sometimes put a bit of goat cheese on top and sometimes I forego the cheese altogether and the dish still tastes amazing. The recipe here is a suggestion. Make the basic flatbread and put whatever you want on top. After the bread is made, don’t forget to top it off with arugula leaves, some salt and olive oil.
I also like to quintuple this recipe and freeze the unused portions in ziploc bags. Whenever I need dinner, I thaw some flatbread dough, roll it out and put something on top. Then I bake the flatbread for 10-20 minutes and dinner is ready!
note: you can use 1 egg instead of the psyllium husk
Gluten-Free Pesto Pepper Flatbread
By July 4, 2011Published:
Since we have three little kids, it's hard to go out in the evening. So, I learned to make some gourmet foods at home. Flatbread is …
- For flatbread:
- 1 cup Quinoa flour
- 1/2-1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Psyllium husk
- 3/4 cup Water
- For topping:
- 4 tbsp Pesto sauce
- 1 Bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 Zucchini thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium Onion thinly sliced
- 1 Tomato thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup Soft goat cheese crubled
- Arugula leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius (400 F).
- Mix the salt, psyllium husk and flour together, add the water gradually so that it resembles a thick porridge, wait for a couple of minutes and then spread the batter on to a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Spread the pesto sauce on top of the flatbread and put all of the veggies on top of the sauce.sprinkle some goat cheese over the veggies and bake at 425 degrees F for 10-15minutes. Take out of the oven and generously put arugula leaves on top. Put salt and pepper to taste.