I was browsing through some blogs last night and stumbled upon a post about a really delicious, easy and healthy bean spread. Oh,and the spread is supposed to be placed on a sandwich with some kale on top. I was hooked. First of all, I am all about quick and easy, healthy cooking. Secondly, I could feed this spread to my twin babies, who’d love a little extra protein, so that they can finally grow up and take their toys back from their big brother. Thirdly, I could feed the kale to my oldest, who thinks that eating kale makes you grow big enough to drive a real car ( ok, I taught him that.)
I tripled the bean spread recipe and we had the leftovers for lunch today. The babies had the spread with some celery sticks and avocado chunks and we had baked potatoes with bean spread, avocado , kale and chives.
After playing with the original recipe a bit, here’s the spread and the sandwich:
Bean Spread and Kale Vegan Sandwich
By July 6, 2011Published:
I was browsing through some blogs last night and stumbled upon a post about a really delicious, easy and healthy bean spread. Oh,and …
- For Rustic White Bean Spread:
- 1 can White cannellini beans drained and rinsed (or 1 heaping cup of cooked beans)
- Juice from one lemon
- 1-2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 1/4 tbsp Water or more for desired consistency
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For Kale:
- few handfuls Kale stems removed, chopped
- 1 small clove Garlic minced
- a bit of Olive oil and water
- 1-2 tbsp Bragg's amino acid sauce
- Tobasco sauce optional
- For sandwich:
- Lemon optional
- Tomato slice optional
- For sauce: Process everything until smooth.
- For Kale: Heat a bit of olive oil and water in a frying pan. Add a small garlic clove, minced, stirring a minute until fragrant. Add 1-2 tbsp. of Bragg's amino acid sauce. Toss in a couple handfuls of kale (stems removed, chopped). Sautee until wilted. Add a few drops of tobasco, if desired.
- For assembly: Place a generous dollop of warmed white bean spread over two pieces of toast. Top with cooked kale. Squeeze a splash of lemon over everything and put a slice of lemon on top (optional). I also put a tomato slice on top.